Festivals
Forums
Map
Real Estate
Shopping

About

ParkeCountyLiving.com Forum Index ParkeCountyLiving.com
Forum Dedicated to Parke County, IN

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August 2007 Bridgeton Covered Bridge Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParkeCountyLiving.com Forum Index -> Bridgeton Bridge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: August 2007 Bridgeton Covered Bridge Update Reply with quote

The lettering has finally been added to both ends of the Bridgeton Covered Bridge. The lettering reads:

Bridgeton

Builders
Dan R. Collom
Travis R. McPike
Lucas D. Collom

Dave Watters - Beamery

Cross This Bridge at a Walk
twuelfing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: interesting Reply with quote

I find it interesting that the lettering on the bridge lists 3 people from the Collom family. The contract for the fabrication was awarded to the Beamery, who subsequently provided all of the fabrication on the bridge save some of the struts and the arch rings, which were fabricated by Dan Collom's crew. I am sure there are people who will be offended, but Dan Collom did not do a majority of the work on this bridge. He certainly helped, but he was defiantly not THE bride builder. There was no one bridge builder. And if anyone deserves credit its the community. He was so impressed with himself that he bullied the Beamery into giving up part of the contract money. The Beamery already took the project on at a loss, and to be bullied into surrendering more than the agreed up portion of the contract was just offensive.

The local politics killed the enjoyment I once had for this project. At one point I was even physically threatened by Dan Collom because he perceived the Beamery as spreading lies about him at the bridge festival.

I hope for the counties sake and the sake of the beautiful bridges that the professionalism, experience and actual demonstrated knowledge will be taken into account when awarding contracts to rehab, replace or rebuild the bridges that provide the county with its livelihood.

I used to be bitter about the whole thing, I have grown to just worry about the future of the area, local politics took over the project and decisions were based not on merit, or logic, but on image and publicity. Thats not why we did the project, but thats what we were forced to deal with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParkeCountyLiving.com Forum Index -> Bridgeton Bridge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: